Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snack Time Fun

This past weekend, we took a family trip to Costco.We were in the freezer section by the fruit, when the hubby said "why don't you buy some fruit and make the kids smoothies?" I told him that I have frozen berries in the freezer at home, but it dawned on me that I had never thought to make the kids smoothies. Why haven't I tried  it before? The kids LOVE fruit, yogurt and milk. This was a no brainer!

So I looked up basic smoothie recipes on the internet and tried one out on Sunday. The recipe I followed was:

1 cup of  whole milk
3/4 cup yogurt ( I used Stonyfield Farms Organic low-fat Vanilla. I figured they would get the fat from the milk)
1/2 cup frozen strawberries and blueberries

The kids liked it, but I personally thought it looked a little soupy. So today I tried again and I made a few changes:

1 cup whole milk
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 whole banana




The consistency was much better ( I am thinking it had to do with the banana). The kids LOVED it! I think we have a new healthy snack favorite! I am excited to experiment with different kind of fruit and see what they like best!

No comments:

Post a Comment