Monday, April 11, 2011

To go or not to go?


This picture was taken on Father's Day 2010 at my parent's country club pool. You would never guess that this happy little girl was sick. After swimming, she took a nap and woke up with a 103.6 fever. She was so miserable. I called the Dr. since it was the first time she had a fever that high and he told us to come in the next morning. The next day, he said she probably had a virus and if the fever was still there in two days, we should come back. She still had a fever a couple days later, so we went back. The Dr. tested and confirmed that she had a UTI. It was so scary because he ordered an ultrasound and an x-ray test of her kidneys due to the fact that she was only 8 months old. This was to make sure that the urine wasn't pushing back into her kidneys, which could cause a serious infection. The tests were very unpleasant (more for myself than little Syd). Luckily everything came back fine and we had no other issues. Fast forward to a week and a half ago, and she had a high fever again with no other symptoms. I took her to be tested for another UTI and it came out negative. The Dr. said that if she broke out with a rash in a few days it meant she had something called Roseola.This is also known as sixth disease (very common with little ones). Sure enough that is exactly what happened and she is now better!

I immediately was concerned for my little guy. They said the incubation period was 10-14 days, ugh! Yesterday he woke up with a high fever and no other symptoms. We had a rough night because he wouldn't sleep and my first instinct was to take him to the Dr's office. Before I put him in the car I realized it has been exactly 10 days since Syd had gotten sick with the same thing. So I decided to ride this one out for a few days.

Being a first time mom, I know I am not very good at deciding when to take them to the Dr. One time I took Sydney and she magically perked up the second we walked in the office. Now don't get me wrong, I don't take them often but there is something about high fevers that makes me nervous. I guess I am still learning when to go and when not to go. Hopefully I do not regret my decision this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment